The South Western School District’s Business Education Program is designed to give all students the greatest possible opportunity to achieve their academic potential while developing practical work-based and consumer skills. We live in a world where information, the workplace and society are constantly changing; therefore, we are committed to inspire our students to become responsible individuals able to compete confidently in this atmosphere. The Business Program at South Western provides students with a curriculum that links high academic standards with these “real-world” challenges. Students can choose from a variety of courses that can be applied and adapted to any career choice.
Business Education courses at South Western contribute to the development of problem solving skills, time and resource management skills, team-building skills, and communication skills. An integral part of each course is conditioning students to be responsible and active learners.
It is the mission of the Business Department to develop, promote and maintain effective partnerships with parents, employers and the community to ensure an engaging learning environment while preparing students with skills for the future.
The goals of the Business Education Department at South Western High School are to provide students with:
- Specialized instruction to prepare students for careers in business.
- “Real-world” projects that will be assessed on results, work ethic, use of information, and knowledge application.
- Instruction to assist students in preparing for professional careers requiring advanced study.
- Interpersonal skills needed to work collaboratively.
- Several course offerings designed to provide for a variety of abilities and interests.
- Decision-making, communication, logic, reasoning, and manipulative skills.
- The ability to create, manage, and transmit information through the understanding and application of computer concepts.
- Opportunities to use information technology for research, collaboration, communication and problem solving.