Following are guidelines are established by the South Western School District with regards to Act 3 of 2008, the new Right-To-Know law.
Appointment of a Right-To-Know Officer
The South Western School District shall appoint an open records officer to handle all compliance issues related to the Right-To-Know law. The Right-to-Know Officer (“RTK Officer”) shall:
- Receive Right-To-Know requests submitted to the South Western School District.
- Direct Right-To-Know requests to other appropriate persons within South Western School District or to appropriate persons in another agency.
- Track the progress of the South Western School District in responding to requests in a timely manner.
- Issue interim and final responses under this act.
All Right-To-Know requests shall be submitted in writing to: Jeffrey A. Mummert, Right-To-Know Officer of the South Western School District, on the District’s Right-To-Know Written Request Form, or the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records, Standard Right-To-Know Request Form (see link below).
Written requests may be:
- E-mailed to email@example.com, or
- Faxed to (717) 521-2021, or
- Sent by U.S. Mail to 225 Bowman Road, Hanover, PA 17331, or
- Delivered in-person to 225 Bowman Road, Hanover, PA 17331.
If the requestor wishes to pursue the relief and remedies provided for in this act, the request for access must be in writing. The South Western School District will not accept verbal or written anonymous requests. A written request for information under the Right-To-Know Act does not need to include any explanation of the requestor’s reasons for requesting the information or the intended use of the information unless otherwise required by law.
Responses to Written Requests
The South Western School District will respond to all Right-To-Know requests, in writing, by issuing one of the following responses:
- Granting the request;
- Granting in Part/Denying in Part; or
- Denying the request
The District may also issue a response that the record(s) requested cannot be produced within the five-day required period and exercise the ability to get a 30-day extension period to fulfill the request.